State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP)
Free Health Insurance Counseling
Area IV Agency offers free, unbiased help for people in West Central Indiana making decisions about their health insurance coverage. Our counselors are certified through Indiana’s State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP), and can answer your questions about:
- Medicare Supplement Insurance
- Medicare Advantage
- Long Term Care Insurance
- Prescription Drug Coverage
- Low-Income Subsidy
- Medicare Savings Program
Area IV Agency is not affiliated with any insurance company or agency and does not sell insurance.
Instead, we provide expert SHIP counseling through telephone or face-to-face interactions, public education presentations, and media activities. Area IV Agency also has experts who can assist with application for Extra Help and Medicare Savings Programs.
Our counselors are available Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at 765-447-7683.
What is the Low Income Subsidy (LIS) or “Extra Help”?
Extra Help will pay for these costs associated with a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan:
- Monthly premiums
- Annual Deductibles
- Prescription co-payments
Anyone who has Medicare Prescription Drug Plan and with limited income is eligible for the Low Income Subsidy.
What is the Medicare Savings Program (MSP)?
Three categories of help are available:
- QMB – Qualified Medicare Beneficiary
- For individuals at or below 150% FPL (Federal Poverty Level)
- Pays for Part A and Part B premiums, deductibles, and co-insurance
- SLMB – Specified Low Income Medicare Beneficiary and QI-Qualified Individual
- For individuals at or below 185% FPL
- Pays for Medicare Part B Premium only
The Medicare Savings Program is provided through Indiana’s Medicaid program for Medicare beneficiaries with low incomes and limited resources.